Monday, September 17, 2007

Just a trip to Kroger

I just needed to get groceries. But sometimes, you get more than you bargain for.

We have a really nice Kroger near our house that has a "Hugslie Land" where you can drop off the kiddos while you shop. There are tvs all over the store so you can watch them while they play. Heaven. So, I drop Leo off.

My first stop is the deli counter. Got to get Leo his Mesquite Smoked Turkey. While a woker slices my turkey, the butcher comes out and seems intent on having a conversation with me. Having a baby with you just seems to bring this out in people sometimes. Finally he says..."So, he's just barely off the breast, huh?" What?!?!?! From a 70 year old man. I just smile and nod. My favorite non-response.

Then I go to produce. I meet the cutest little old man on a Rascal Scooter. He is just fascinated by Henry on my back, and he wants to talk about it. I tell him I've been wearing him since he was about 9 days old, and he says...Well, he's just right at home, isn't he? Yes, I say...he's very comfortable. He proceeds to tell me that he and his wife are going down to Austin for their first g-grandchild's first birthday. They can't wait to see him smash his little chocolate cake. They also just found out that their grandchildren who are missionaries in Thailand are going to have a baby - so now they will have two g-grands. He was so cute.

I go to get potatoes. Now I get a sneak attack. This little old Asian woman seems so friendly. Oh, where I come from, everyone wore the babies on their backs. Yes, I say. It seems to be very prevalent in other countries. Well, she says, you need to be very careful. We have a whole generation in Japan that is bowlegged because of carrying the babies. And I can't help it - I laugh out loud. It was probably more of a snort. She is taken aback, and realizes that I think she is way off base. I promise I will be careful, but I can tell that she can see that I think she is wrong. I'm not wearing him in the field for 23 hours a day...I just need some groceries.

So, we move on. I make it through the canned goods...and around about the dairy section, I realize a different little old lady is following me. She is trying to get close to me. We make it through the cheese and the butter, and I finally turn around, plant my feet, and stare at her in the eggs and yogurt.
Her: Well, I'm worried that the fabric is going to cut into his head.
(She reaches out to touch him, and I turn him away. I've had it by this point. I'm pretty short with her.)
Me: He's fine. I promise.
Her: I wanted you to know that he's asleep.
Me: Soundly. How uncomfortable can he be???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Were you wearing your "Please give me unsolicited advice/comments/opinions!" t-shirt?