Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Rest of the Story

When last we spoke, I said that I had told Henry we would go to Half Price Books instead of ringing strangers' doorbells...

My real goal in going up there was to get some new nonfiction for Leo. He is really getting interested in that genre. We pull up in the parking lot, and Henry immediately starts saying..."Do they have carts?" And I say "no" - what he is asking is if he has to ride in a grocery cart b/c he LOVES and much prefers to walk. Then he says..."Did you bring the stroller?" b/c he is hoping I can't strap him in the stroller.

Me: No. No stroller.
Henry: I keep my hands to myself.
Me: Yes.
Henry: And hold Mommy's hand.
Me: Yes. Especially in the parking lot.

We slowly make our way across the parking lot and into the store. He lets go of me the second his feet get off the parking lot. When we finally get in the store, the children's section is of course in the faaaaaar back corner of the store. So we zigzag around with me trying to keep him moving in generally the right direction to make forward progress. "This way. Come on. Come on, Henry. Let's go. Stop...no...NO! Put that down. This way. " over and over and over.

We finally make it back to the little children's section, and it's a little square area bordered by bookshelves. There are a few other people there. He marches right over to a stool...climbs up on top of it...scrunches up his face...and begins to grunt. He hadn't gone the day before, so it took him awhile. I just waited for him to finish.

Then it was back out of the store, get the diaper bag, walk two stores down to Babies R Us, wander around in BRU b/c the bathroom is in a different place than in the Plano store, change the diaper while he screams at me..."Don't touch my legs!!!", help him wash his hand BY HIMSELF!!!, get a bento box we needed anyway and new diaper sacks since I used the last one, pay, go home for lunch.

There you go. All the way into town to take a dump.

No comments: